Monday, December 21, 2009

Govinda rules

Keifer Sutherland, superhit. That's how old I am today.
I have never been crazy about birthdays. I mean, I like them, but it always seems like a day filled with the pressure of being happy. It's a birthday, but why does it HAVE to be happy?
When I was a kid, I used to love birthdays. Not just mine, everyone's. I'd love to wake up on a cold morning (those days, it would be cold in Cal in December), and watch my parents put up streamers in the living room. Then there'd be loads of hugs and kisses, a card, a gift, the cake for later on in the evening. 21st would be the last day of school, so everyone would be superhappy, pushing all the desks to the corner of the classroom, putting up Christmas decorations and just doing all the crazy after exam before holiday things. We'd sing carols, stage silly plays, then dance on top of the desks. Some cool kid would bring her "deck" and that's it. Even the head mistress couldn't do a thing about it. D would get alu kabli and samosas, and I'd probably get Pepsi in a flask, someone would get something or the other, and we'd have a feast. If we got some pocket money, we'd buy orange sticks.
Back home, we'd have a party - which was fun, but even then, I was always a little stressed out. Everyone would be there. Right from Didu Mashi and Mesho Dadu to my dance teacher and best friend from the neighbourhood. I'd be bratty and nyaka and stress out about my "new dress" which I had to wear no matter what. The funnest part was when everyone finally left, the lights were dimmed, and Dada and I would sit and open my presents. Before I knew it, the day would be over - but I wouldn't mind terribly because Christmas and Baba's birthday would just be 4 days away.
Over the years, the wonder of happy birthdays did fade - but then again, you're not six forever. Presents make me nervous, too many wishes make me depressed, I feel old, I feel restless - I don't know - I just want the day to finish fast so that everyone can bloody relax. I guess I never know what to do with too much attention, even if it is all real, and born out of love. I'm always scared that my gratitude will not be enough - that I might seem ungrateful or unhappy. I'm not - I'm happy - I really, really am. And I am grateful for all that I have in my life. Okay, enough.
So I decided to celebrate Keifer in Bangalore and I am so, so glad. We had the funnest time last night - which had water pistols, champagne, fake bands, a Christmas tree (so so pretty), Chiniss bulbs, delish food and delish friends. We ALL got presents, and no-one got drunk or stupid, which you will realise after a while, is a GOOD thing. I was genuinly, completely happy.
I love this home, and it breaks my heart to leave. But, none of that now. For today though, thanks man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? Am I missing something? You haven't left forever no?

- N

Engee said...

Alas, yes - but not in a dead way.

Mayur G said...

nostalgia