Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Home?

So here's the deal. I'm back in Cal, I have a job in Bombay and it feels like I've left my entire life behind in Bangalore. Home is okay. I don't have my room to myself, but I surprisingly don't care. Right now, everyone's at work or something. There's the comfort of familiarity. Smells of frying fish, cold cream, aftershave. But this could be anywhere - because I'm not here in my head.
I guess an independent life spoils you. This is not the feeling I had when I came back home from hostel. Then I'd be irritable, I'd be dying for a smoke, I'd be bored without my friends around me all the time. It's not like that now. I know it's only been a day, but I miss the simple things, just the simple rituals of a simple day. I miss boiling the milk in the morning. Having my coffee my way. Kellog's Oat bites. Watching the news and VH1 while chomping on cereal. Cooking dinner. A smoke after dinner. Desultory, but still independent. It's not like that at home.
But, I'm at peace. I don't feel particularly irritable or restless or anything. Yes, I get mollycoddled a bit, and there are way too many questions first thing in the morning - but it's okay. These are my people and they love me. Why be a sourpuss about that?
Life goes on. I know Bombay won't be like Bangalore. It's unfair to expect that from Bombay. It's a different city, with different people - just like Cal is different. It's not better or worse. It's just different. And you get used to anything. So yeah. Note to self: Stop getting so goddamn sentimental.
Note to S1: Cook, clean, wash dishes, watch Glee, Grey's and HIMYM (you can order from Chung's then), go out for brunch, talk, C don't smoke alone too much, switch off the gas, do random dances, and stop spending so bloody much! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Note read...accepted and is being implemented as we speak...

S1 misses it's Ramu...you were more than that obviously

...but you know what... Moving on is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard....thats what we are dealing with...

Mayur G said...

meeting and departing are the ways of life..u meet to create memories..u depart to live them..thats life;)...its a cliche to say that u like mumbai as a city or just hate it...my take...mumbai accepts u or it doesnt..lolz nothing scary..its fine to be whipped out of ur comfort zones at times..change is good :)

Udaya said...

"I know exactly what you mean" but, you already know that. Considering your C and S1 (we have divined who they are) have made it clear, a word from us who frequent Bombay. So look forward to seeing your Goofiness more often. Selfish, but what to do there's only so much Loony to go around. Bring in rituals for the peeps even in I-care-a-hoot-about-you Bombay. Soon enough!