Saturday, November 6, 2010

Khair Chhodo

So yesterday I had work and it was fine when I was working, not so fine when I wasn't. I have realized over time that I am not much of a lover of festivals. I mean, look at it - this Diwali thing - people making noise, people littering, people wasting energy - somehow, I'm not cool with it. I just don't like it. I don't like most of these celebrations, and I don't know, maybe I'm being a Scrooge or something, but if you think about it, you'll know what I mean.
Maybe it's a once in a year thing, but it's so wasteful and pointless! And I don't know. I think that attack on Ravan and the Lankans was kind of racially motivated. It's like America vs any small oil rich country.
Anyway. I was in a mood yesterday. I don't quite know why. I wish I could stay back at the studio all night instead of going back home.
My editor is a man-child-khoo-kid. Let me elaborate - and I'm sure you've seen this kind a lot:

30 something, unmarried.
Long hair, maybe a beard.
Wears quarter pants, expensive sneakers and rocker/black Tees.
Smokes a lot of pot
Listens to electronica
Collects toys
Talks a lot. About drugs, music, parties, gambling, women - all the things which make him cool.
Has an opinion on everything
Is friends with anyone who matters
Drops names
Loves the sound of his own voice
Sarcastic, talks down to his assistants
Says "fuck" and its derivatives a lot
Gives a rat ass about clients/agencies - people in positions of authority
Always has a party to go to
Probably loves comic books
Probably watches a lot of indie films
Does that Bappi Lahiri talk with friends on the phone
Was/is in a band

I can't help it. He's such a type. But he was generous with his stash, so I don't care. He's late though for his booking. Not that I have anywhere to go. Khair chhodo.

I love that phrase. "Khair chhodo". What does "khair" mean? Anyway? I am in love with it.

4 comments:

Roy said...

totally agree with you on the futility of diwali and all. may our tribe increase.

fr said...

khair means 'well' in urdu.

and khairiyat- well being
:)

Mayur G said...

let us look at it this way..there was a time when we attacked a country jus to save a women,....now we free cold blooded militants n scratch our balls when our financial capital is stabbed..so probably diwali is symbolic of the fact tat we had sauce at some point in history.so happy diwali :)

fisherwoman said...

Ruchir used to say "khair chhodo" all the time! and in my head I would translate "khair" as "whatever" :P