Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Discoveries

Here are some interesting discoveries vis-a-vis two oh oh nine.

Jerry Garcia.
I was introduced to Grateful Dead and CSNY in college thanks to Bertie (a kind of cult hero-English professor-singer-songwriter-musician from Cal). But I never followed it up much. But then, I started downloading stuff indiscriminately at work and stumbled upon a Garcia treasure trove. Oh wow. And wow.


Grey's Anatomy
I'm a Grey's newbie. I avoided it like the plague in college. Everyone was into Grey's - and I know how addicted I can get to T.V. series. So I didn't go the Grey way. But ever since I've shifted to this new city, life has taken a dark and sinister turn. Chungs' Chinese and Grey's Anatomy - addiction, addiction. I'm totally You-Tubing, Wiki-ing and gossip scavenging Grey's dirt. What can I say? It's become a part of life.


Lou Reed
I don't think you can call yourself a music lover if you haven't been initiated the Lou Reed way. I was a music virgin, yes. I begin my
Sunday mornings with Sunday Morning and follow it up with Perfect Day. Sweet.


Erik Satie's Gnossiennes No. 4
My dad had bought me this CD player back in the day and along with it a CD of some of the greatest classical piano pieces. And there was in it, a curious piece called Gymnopedie. Many years and google revolutions later, I stumbled upon Gnossiennes No. 4. It's so positively enchanting - yes, that's the word. Apparently it's called furniture music (google it - akin to elevator music), but what do I care? It takes me somewhere far, far away this piece. I love it.

Lady Gaga
Don't ask. It started with my room-mate's ringtone, and now I'm just, well, riding the disco stick.







Haruki Murakami

Again, a college hit, but never got down to reading it somehow. Then, quite accidentally, I came to possess "Kafka on the Shore", and so, it followed.
Surreal stuff.





Okay, I'm tired of formatting this now, so I'll do it some other time. Just a small mention of my newly discovered love for logos, Thomas Pynchon and Frederico Fellini.

No comments: