Thursday, October 29, 2009

A day in the life

There's probably a ghost in the house, but never mind that.
I've realised (as have millions and millions and millions have already, I'm sure), I have a Beatles song for every mood, every occassion. Today feels like 'A Day in the Life'.

Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
and Somebody spoke and I went into a dream


Aaaaaaaaaa. Sigh. Yesterday, I watched a movie sitting at my desk. Hitchcock's 'Spellbound'. I've seen better Hitchcock films, but this one had it's moments. It was full of these motifs, typical of Hitchcock films, and these super cool shots (I was in love with this one where Gregory Peck drinks milk - you see the shot from the perspective of the glass' bottom, while the milk flows towards the camera as the glass is being tilted. It's quite brilliant). And of course, the Dali dream sequence. I know a lot people think Dali is over-rated. I personally think, if Dali had been alive he'd be doing things you'd never imagine. He'd use the internet, the TV, the outer frikking space to express his surreal art. He was way ahead of his times, and the fact that he still makes you go, 'wow, who would have thought' even today, is proof enough of his brilliance. Anyway, getting back to Spellbound, Hitchcock himself referred to the film as "just another manhunt wrapped up in pseudo-psychoanalysis". Haha. I love Hitchcock. I was just going through some of his interviews, where he speaks about the American obsession with content. He believed that his main duty as a film-maker was to keep the viewer rivetted to the screen - and the only way he could do that was through his visuals. Let talk be a part of the background, the ambience as it were, was his theory. And you will of course, see that in all his films. Which is why the most ordinary plot, with pretty ordinary acting almost always ends up being an extraordinary film as a whole! I think we're so caught up in trying to sound cool, look cool, be cool, that we forget that we have to actually DO something to be perceived as cool. Like, work for instance. Hitchcock's films are anything but simplistic, though he'd love to fool you into believing that. He wants you to watch his film, be glued to the screen, get scared, get excited - even if you are responding to it at the most superficial level. But there's something in it for the most neurotic nitcpicker as well. He makes everyone happy. What a filmy Santa Claus.
Anyway. As always, I have no work at office today. It's exhausting, this no-work business. But, I've found a solution to this problem. This is, my gap year. For which I get paid, which is kind of cool. But it kind of takes the pressure of. So, I'm doing what I like doing - I'm watching films, TV, reading, wiki-ing, travelling and listening to a whole lot of music. Maybe I should start playing the guitar once again, and record some music. See, I AM trying to be positive about it all.

4 comments:

Nicole Braganza said...

Santa Claus is coming to town. Really soon. And as much as you'd like me to believe it, he is not Hitchcock.

Anonymous said...

This is a comment.

Good to find you back in the business of blogging, NG. Sometimes, quote-unquote joblessness is what we miss most in life, savour it while it lasts. And keep writing!

Best,

PeeHeichAiPeePee

Engee said...

Nic - okay, but who's town?

PeeHeichAiPeepee - I love joblessness. But too much of anything makes you sick. And I will. :)

The Absolutist said...

record record record