Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Marshall's Magazine and India's obsession with Death

Two completely unrelated stories, but my morning headlines nevertheless.

Remember that utterly wonderful episode of How I Met Your Mother where Marshall had to come home every time, ahem, he had to "read a magazine"? Yeah so I went home today to "read a magazine" in the middle of the day, simply because...I can. My house is like 5 minutes away, so I indulge in its nearness once in a while. Besides, I absolutely HATE using the office loo for magazine reading purposes, for reasons similar to Marshall's: They ALL know what you've been doing! I get squeamish about things like that :P

Note to self: Cut down on the drinking and fast food on weekdays. Phew.

Now for story number two (no puns intended). I don't get it with India's obsession with models committing suicide. How lonely life on the fast lane is, how young independent women with fading good looks are prone to depression et al et al. I get it. It's sad. But why and how is that your newspaper headline for the past fucking week? Even Bhopal didn't get that kind of coverage! Our obsession with glamour and death is sickening. Their excuse? It sells baby. We're all feeding off this meaty little sad love story. Wait, did I just see Madhur Bhandarkar sitting in a corner gloating?

1 comment:

Mayur G said...

write something..years passing by.